How Mold Affects Kids

Approximately one-third of children are allergic to mold with only pollen being a more common allergy. There are thousands of varieties of mold and it can grow both outside and indoors. Mold thrives on two things: warmth and water. Because of this, places like bathrooms, kitchens, and basements are the most common places to find household mold.

Inhaling mold spores can cause sneezing, a runny nose, itchy eyes, wheezing, and coughing. If your child seems to get the sniffles in certain locations, it may be due to a developing mold allergy. Your pediatrician may refer your child to an allergist to confirm. Long term exposure to indoor mold can be more problematic for infants and children than for adults. More severe symptoms can develop over prolonged exposure. Some indoor molds are capable of producing extremely potent toxins that are readily absorbed through the intestinal lining, airways, and skin.

Avoiding exposure may be all that is necessary if your child has a mild mold allergy. If their symptoms are more severe, an over the counter antihistamine may be needed or a prescribed inhaled nasal steroid. Immunotherapy shots may be suggested as well.

One of the most important things to deal with mold allergy symptoms is to get rid of it as fast as possible. Taking care of mold as soon as you spot it may help keep your child from developing an allergy or increasing its severity.

This entry was posted in Respiratory Allergies and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s