Musty odors in the home generally indicate a mold or mildew problem. Many find that being in these areas cause them to have stuffy noses and watery eyes. Ancient philosophers believed that clean air was clean to a healthy mind and body. When the body is not functioning properly, the mind cannot function with ease and clarity.
When mold and mildew quantity gets out of hand, or when individuals who are highly sensitive to toxic mold, breathe it in, it can present a serious health hazard. Mold and mildew are known to cause respiratory problems, common allergic reaction symptoms, nervous-system disorders and depression.
Once mold spores land someplace warm, dark, and damp, they begin to grow — and create those black dots better known as mildew. Mildew is a specific kind of mold, usually with a flat growth habit.
To prevent mildew at home, keep all the areas moisture-free. There are mildew removers available at stores to eliminate mildew. To protect plants from mildew, use mildew-resistant seeds, remove infested plants, and avoid overhead heating.
If your walls are covered in black stains, you shouldn’t do it by yourself. This may be a sign of a much bigger problem; call a professional. To remove occasional brown or black spots from painted walls, mix up a solution of one cup chlorine bleach and one gallon of warm water. Put on rubber gloves, dip a scrub brush in, and scour the section. Let the solution set a few minutes and then rinse with a wet cloth.