Dust mites are tiny eight legged critters that are virtually impossible to see with the naked eye. Dust mites love to feed on flakes of shed human skin and are not a real bother unless you have an allergy to them. Dust mites do not discriminate and equally love the cleanest of homes and thrive anywhere that there is shed skin. The most common place to find dust mites is in your bedroom – on your bedding and in/on your mattress. How do these tiny critters cause a big allergy? Dust mites excrete enzymes in there feces and those with an allergy to their enzymes can suffer symptoms like coughing, wheezing, sneezing and watery eyes. What are some of the ways you can effectively remove dust mites from your mattress and other upholstered furniture?
- Vacuum your mattress using the hose attachment – we recommend sprinkling a cup of baking soda onto your mattress, let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then using your vacuum hose attachment to suck up all the baking soda. If you are using a vacuum cleaner with a bag, be sure to use a new, clean bag so that you don’t spread dust mites around. Throw the bag away immediately and place outside in your trash container.
- We suggest combining vacuuming your mattress to also keeping the humidity in your bedroom low as dust mites also adore high humidity areas. The intention is to control the humidity in your room so as to not keep it warm when you sleep because if you are warm when you sleep you tend to sweat and in turn the mites thrive on this.
- Purchase mattress and pillow covers – by using these you are adding an extra protective barrier to protect against dust mites. Using these products makes it extremely difficult for dust mites to penetrate your pillow and mattress.
- We also suggest purchasing an Airfree Air Purifier. Our Air Purifiers destroy even the smallest of airborne microorganisms in its unique ceramic heating chamber without any ozone being used. In addition, it destroys the smallest of microorganisms. An Airfree air purifier destroys airborne allergens such as all types of fungus, including those from dust mite feces, mold spores, proteins from cat dander. It’s important to note that: Airfree does not incinerate dust mites – Airfree Air Purifiers destroy the fungus dust mites need for food without producing harmful by-products or gasses such as found in ozone machines.
- If all else fails call in a professional.
We firmly believe in our company mission – To combine the best technology and design, to turn our clients’ needs into innovative solutions for indoor atmospheres, whether for health reasons, comfort or to increase productivity. Check us out at www.airfree.com for a purifier that will work best for you.